Friday, February 11, 2011

Angolan's Love of the Strategic Game: Chess

Angolans love their game of chess and perhaps it should be no surprise that they are so good at the game.With five International Masters and a host of players on the brink of qualifying for this prestigious title, Angola is one of Sub-Saharan Africa’s strongest chess nations.

Some say Angola’s love of chess was inspired by the Cuban troops in Africa during the conflict years. Che Guevara was known to be a keen player and members of the Angolan national team had a Cuban coach for a number of years, which some say laid the foundations for their strong performances.

Among this hall of fame is Adérito Pedro, an International Master, the 2007 Vice African Champion, and currently Angola’s best chess player. He started playing at 15 with a homemade board and plasticine pieces.  What began as a hobby, however, fast became a serious talent and within two years he had won the African Junior chess Championship. In his 20s Pedro won a scholarship to the Anatoly Karpov International School of Chess in Switzerland. Since then he has toured the globe, playing some of the world’s best players.

Raising the profile of the game is part of Angola's Deputy Prime Minister Aguinaldo Jaime’s plan; Jaime is also a chess fanatic and former head of Angola's Chess Federation. “Sponsorship tends to go to the most popular sports like football, basketball and handball and I think some companies might overlook chess because it seems elitist,” he says.
 
Why does he think Angola is so good at chess?
 
 
“I don’t know if you can really say it was a Cuban or any other country’s influence. I think chess is a very natural talent and maybe, for whatever reason, Angolans are born with this talent. “I also think Angolans enjoy strategic thinking: they are very disciplined and they have a strong resolve and these are all the qualities you need to be able to play chess, and that’s why the Angolans are so good. It has a lot to do with concentration."

“It also has nothing to do with academic background. There are a lot of people who for various reasons, financial or social, did not finish their schooling but are very good chess players because they have the qualities and the mind for chess.”

“It doesn’t take a lot of academic thought but instead you need strategy. Chess develops the mind and we say the best player wins, so you have to be the smartest. Chess is a scientist’s sport, so I hope they increase the programmes to teach Angolan children because they need it. It will develop their maths. If they can play chess they can learn maths.” (Sonangol Universo Magazine)

3 comments:

Einar Yngvesson said...

I found this blogpost and I thought it wasa interesting. I an probabky going to work in Angola from January and I would really like to play some chess while I am there.
How can I get in contact with any chess club in Luanda? I am only a coffee player but I enjoy the game especially if the opponenets are not too strong.
I you have any information on chess clubs in Luanda please send me an email on thorleif@herrstrom.com.

Unknown said...

We offer personal Business loans services around the world. We strive to provide high quality service and high customer satisfaction, while possible financial services. We pride ourselves on our commitment to our customers; We can give you personal loans, auto loans, business / investment loans, short term loans. You can contact us for an affordable loan now at 2% interest rate. Contact us now via E-mail: abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
WhatsApp Number +918929490461
Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

Mrs. Carolin Glowski said...

TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN AMOUNT FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

Hello everyone, My name is Mrs. Carolin Glowski, I'm from Europe, am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right here this forum, i thought their lending where real and i applied but they never gave me loan until a friend of mine introduce me to {Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen} the C.E.O of BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as he promised without any form of delay, I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met {Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen}, who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for the better. I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan also, So feel free to contact Dr. Benjamin Scarlet Owen on his email address drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com


THANKS